In late 1977, Tom and Jana King decided the printing business was something they might be interested in. Although the idea of purchasing a franchise from a national operation was appealing, Tom and Jana felt that they would be better off starting their own company.
The Kings purchased a small, out-of-business print shop located on East College Avenue in State College, Pennsylvania. Along with print shop equipment came a pressman who taught Tom and Jana the ropes. At the beginning, the bathroom doubled as a dark room and Jana and Tom did everything; They answered phones, waited on customers, operated the presses, and fixed the old equipment that was prone to break downs. The very first customer at King Printing was a college student who wanted party invitations printed. The small company grew and prospered, remaining at it's East College Ave. location for 5 years.
In 1983, King Printing needed to expand so they moved to 740 South Atherton Street. The former law office needed a great deal of renovation to make it suitable for a mid-size printing company and Tom and Jana hired more staff to assist in the demands that came with an expanding business. It was at this building that King Printing started doing much more high speed, high volume copying. Unfortunately, the Atherton Street building was demolished to make way for a new office center.
In 1988, King Printing moved to its current home at 1305 West College Avenue. Since being at this location, they have grown with technology and are now a full-service printing firm, offering the best in printing, copying, prepress, and bindery services to the State College and surrounding areas. Outstanding customer service and a hometown flavor are what made, and will continue to make, King Printing a fixture in the Centre Region for years to come.